COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 24

This cake is for my son.
He wanted a Reddit cake. So I looked for a white cake recipe (since he loves vanilla cakes). I found this one and ended up with three of these 6 inchers.
White Cake


I'll be cutting this in half and frosting it soon with a buttercream.
Then we need to decorate. 

The other two cakes, since we don't need them yet, are double wrapped in the freezer. 

I typically buy baking ingredients every week, but since I've walked away from Kroger, I'm finding that I am using different brands now. 
No more Kroger Brand

I don't mind as long as they carry something comparable. :)
My only wish was that they carried bread flour. I may still have to go elsewhere for that.
I have vital wheat gluten and a formula for now so I can turn it into bread flour.

And grape leaves.
I found that FA carries lamb, you see. So I could make stuffed grape leaves. They offered that they had some ready made but it's not the same. And I wanted to make them for Easter.

I looked and found Mercato will deliver this stuff from International Foods, so I'm trying that.
Plus they have phyllo dough, looks handmade, and some brazilian cheese roll things. I'm going to try them out and tell my friend Renetta if they are good. She's been looking for a recipe her mom used but what if it was a mix?

Just think, I have honey and nuts and phyllo.... I could make Baklava for Easter!


So dinner was interesting.
My daughter gave us a "presentation" each family member including dog and cat were rated. This week I was #1 because I make food and bagels. haha. Hope I stay on top.

I made pork fried rice. Partly because the pork chops that I made the other day were temped at 145, but they were really not done. Only the thin ones were. I could swear to you I temped a thick one, but apparently not.

Anyway, I had this par-cooked pork, so I washed off the breading and cut it up.
I made rice and let it cool (that was really the first step since it takes about 25 mins)
In the frying pan I added oil, chopped onion, celery, carrot, a bit of left over mushroom, and a couple cloves of garlic.
Then when that was softened, I added the pork and cooked it until the pink was gone.
I set all of that aside in a bowl, added more oil to the pan, and added the rice, some soy sauce (and then ran out!), and a pat of butter purely for flavor. I cooked until the rice got a bit crispy.

Meantime I had a lot of packets of soy sauce, don't you worry, so I did a little rebottling task, below. I ended up with 2/3 of a cup of soy sauce. Save your packets my friends!
Just look at all that dark salty goodness!
we got soy sauce!
Finally, I added some ginger and a touch of honey to the meat mixture and blended that in (still in the bowl). When the rice got crispier, I made a hole in the center and leaned the pan to make the oil go into the center. Then I cracked an egg in the middle and stirred it with a fork until it resembled scrambled eggs. I mixed in the egg with the rice, then I added more soy, and the meat mixture and blended that in. 

Dinner was served and we tucked in. It was pretty darn good!

Now, what to do with the middle eastern chicken that I didnt grill right.....Hmmm

I'm off to decorate a cake. 
Stay safe, sane, and healthy my friends!
Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!