COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 42

Feeling like a real pioneer today.
I ordered a large pork loin and cut 2/3 of it into chops, then left the last third for a pork roast (below).
Roast

Chops
I ended up freezing it all. I wrapped it first in saran wrap, and then put them into freezer bags. Since I had 10 chops, I put them in packs of 4, 4, and 2.

So what is the best way to eat pork chops? Any way you can that will make them not dry out!

Buttermilk Fried Chops:
You can tenderize them by soaking them in buttermilk for 1 1/2 hours. If you don't have any, you can add a tsp of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk.

Then you can dredge them seasoned flour (flour with salt and pepper and any other spices you want to try), back to the buttermilk, then crushed crackers.
Add oil to a pan and heat it to 375F. Only do a couple at a time and give them 4 minutes per side. Remove the chops to paper towel lined plate and serve.

Brined Chops:
Another option is to brine the pork chops. Get a large container. I like a small cooler for this that has been sanitized. Mix 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/3 c sugar, 2 Tbsp of coriander or mustard seed, and 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes. Add chopped stalks and fronds from a fennel bulb, 1 stalk of celery chopped, 2 smashed cloves of garlic and the seasonings to the cooler. Add 4 chops to the cooler, and cover with enough water to to cover the chops. Cover in ice. Let rest for 30 minutes to several hours.

Warm the chops to room temperature before cooking, by setting them on a plate. Discard the brine.
Cook in oil for 4 mins per side.

Smothered Chops:
You can also smother them with a gravy.
Typically you fry the pork chops first, and set them on a plate. Cook some onions and butter with some salt. Caramelize for 12 mins. Add garlic and thyme. Add 2 parts chicken stock and 1 part cream, (1/2 cup to 1/4 cup) scraping the pork chop bits as you go. Keep the heat low or the cream will curdle!
Simmer with the pork chops in the sauce and the sauce will thicken. Remove from heat and add some parsley.

OH NO SHE DIDNT!
In other news, I cut my own hair today.
Just the bangs but they were like under my nose, I had to. I need to be cute, ya know.
Not too sure about this

Yeah ok I guess its alright

The dog is bummed that it's cold out and noone wants to walk today. At least it's not snowing again. But it is raining.

bummed

srsly?

I'll toss him another peanut butter treat before my Iaido class tonight. I bet he will forgive me.
But I better go.

Stay safe, sane, and healthy!
Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!