COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 47

In an effort to help my mom decide if what we thought was a weed was indeed a weed, we discovered this little gem. Exploding weeds. Yes! I'm serious!

hairy bittercress
Bittercress

Sadly Mom doesnt have these, but these weeds are called bittercress. Here is a video. They look like a bunch of bugs abandoning ship, but they are really seeds from the plant.
https://youtu.be/rAuUJrzaJJY

What mom had was what we think is bedstraw. It kind of looks like rosemary but it has these clingy hoods that attach to other plants and grows really fast, choking out the competition.  It has a sticky residue too, so you can get irritated skin when you touch it. Not much redeeming about it.

I got outside for a bit and ended up picking at the clematis a little, getting rid of deadwood. 
Then headed inside after saying hello to the neighbors.

Day two of the sourdough starter, and I saw some liquid pooling and a bit of bubbling, so I think we are on the right track. I messed up tho, because you're supposed to put 1/2 cup flour and 3/8 cup water in today after removing 1/2 cup of the starter, but I read it wrong and doubled that. Oops.
I'll probably just have to do it longer than a week. Or it may work after all. Who knows.

There were "discarded starter" recipes if you don't want to waste, which I don't, but rather than go with a new recipe, what I really wanted was some gingersnaps. So I just removed 1/2 cup of the flour and used the starter. The batter tastes good but the cookies are not done yet.

Discarding some starter

Adding the flour (and water) to feed the starter


For dinner, I breaded the pork chops with flour, egg, then sourdough bread crumbs. They were really good. We also had what is called 'broccoflower', a hybrid of broccoli and cauliflower. It tasted just like you'd expect it to and I am not sure how I feel about that! :D

I was looking at 30 days of things to write about earlier today. One that caught my eye was "If you could run away, where would you go"?

For me, the location would definitely be Italy, all around the coast. But it's more than the location, it's the company you keep. I would not want to do it alone. I'd want hubby with me, for sure. But I'd want him to enjoy it. In my dream he would be as excited as I was.

There would have to be a vaccine for Corona virus, and we would have to get it. And we would have to have saved enough money to travel that far. And probably be retired to have enough time.
But look at these photos!

2015-12-15-1450213403-4030366-6566071365e7aeb7a6e21dc68_manarolacinqueterreitalycrgetty.jpg
Manarola, Cinque Terre 

2015-12-15-1450214410-6833475-756607030659c4b487486b128_venicegrandcanalcrgetty.jpg
Venice

2015-12-15-1450214776-8115918-10566713f140946d741c648ce7_streetsofburanovenicecrgetty.jpg
Burano Island, Venice

Where would you want to go?

Let me know!

Meantime, stay safe, sane, and healthy, friends :)
Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!