COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 25

As you can see from my potato and various other seedlings, things are going well in the gardening front.

Seedlings

Potato


They all have a lean to them, so I turned on my light today and rigged a extension cord up.
I had a timer too, but despite it making a lot of noise, I couldn't figure it out. Basically I just know the light didn't go on.
I may look it up and see what to do later, but I only had a few minutes during lunch break to set it up.

I was thinking this morning about how long to set up the timer for. And I figure that the seedlings will be ready for the outside around the end of May, so then I should be mimicking the sunrise and sunset of May 29th. That's 6am to 9pm.

Okay so that's all well and good but I am, myself,  now on a 7am to 11pm schedule. I don't want to get up at 6am. (she says stomping her foot)
Do you think the seedlings will mind if we do say 7am to 10pm?
I'm thinking they would be okay with it.

Hanzo, our bearded dragon, was hanging out in the family room by himself.  I think everyone who was watching him wandered off. So I grabbed him and brought him with me to the living room. He immediately walked up to the mirrored wall and stared at himself. I wonder if he recognizes that its him?



Dinner was sloppy joes and chips, pickles, and corn. It was really good and felt Summery.
Today I got my International Foods delivery - I got all the things I asked for. So the plan is on to make grape leaves and baklava for Easter. We also plan to make a kind of  Easter Bread if possible.

I've been making bagels and cookies and muffins. But I think the party is nearly over. The stores around here no longer have bread flour or yeast. I haven't tried pickup at Target or Walmart yet but that might be my next try.

If I can continue to get regular (All Purpose) flour, I can make natural yeast, so there is that too. And I can make things with chemical leaveners. It's just the bread and raised cinnamon rolls and raised donuts that would be harder to do.

I can panic or I can get resourceful.

It's easier to live a life of convenience, no doubt. And I've been taking it for granted. Panicking would be easy to do too. I'm used to a life where I have plenty. I'm spoiled that way. I have a good job and so does my husband.

Watching the fridge and freezer empty and the cupboards empty as I try to just buy what we need once a week is a little scarier than I thought. It's probably a necessary thing, to cleanout all the extras, to see what its like to only have what you need for the next week. But it's still disconcerting.
I can't imagine what it's like to have them be completely bare. I hope I never need to know that.

This leads me to wonder about the food banks and how they are dealing with the pandemic?
According to the Feeding America site, local food banks are the "where" to help.
https://www.feedingamerica.org/find-your-local-foodbank

Forgotten Harvest in Greater Detroit


For the "How", right now you can donate money while the workers use that to purchase food for the hungry. They are not taking volunteers because of the lock downs.

The "Who it helps" is our neighbors. With increasing needs for food, "closures of businesses and schools could affect lower-income families and people with hourly wages in particular. While all support is appreciated, financial support lets us use your gift to meet the greatest needs."

Get this: they can feed a family with a $25 donation -- $175 worth of groceries.
$50 for $350 worth , and $150 for $1050 worth of groceries.
What they can do is amazing, if you ask me.

On the good news front, we can finally let the dog out to run in the back yard.
It's been muddy for a long time!

Not Otis, but he would do this. 

But that also means soon I can continue the tear down of the crazy Virginia Creeper vine on the back fence. Looks like it is going to rain tomorrow so that gives me another day to be lazy before the hard work begins again.

Wednesday it's going to be 66 degrees F here in Michigan! That's perfect gardening weather.

Stay safe, sane, and healthy!
Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!