COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 35

It's a sign of the times.
Last week, I had discovered the secret of finding the Kroger  clicklist schedules, which is to stay up til midnight and  schedule the pick up as the schedule comes out. You can always modify as you realize that you forgot something.

So today, it was time to get the food.

Dog Getting Into The Groceries Stock Image - Image of kitchen ...
Copyright: (c) Peanutroaster | Dreamstime.com
                                                     
When I got there every Clicklist spot was taken. I pulled into a parking spot next to them
and waited about a half hour. When one guy left, a new guy came in and  immediately took his spot. I stared daggers at his car.

So I called in and asked what to do. They said they would come to my car any way, just tell them my car type and color. And sure enough they did.

The whole process took a little over an hour. By the time I left every spot in the 3 rows surrounding the pickup rows were full and all the picker uppers had their trunks open to show that they were
also there to pick up.

One lady kept getting up and asking if the cart was for her.
Not sure if she could not hear so well and wasn't sure the name they called out,  but I never did see her get her food.

Last night I stayed up late and ordered for next week weds at 7am.
Hopefully by the time my 9am meeting rolls around I've got my groceries.
I'm hoping an early pickup time is easier. This getting groceries safely is cutting into my sleep time!

One thing I was amazed about was how many people pulled in, sat on their phones, windows up all the way. They kept missing that their orders were ready because they just weren't paying attention.

So when I got home they weren't able to give me:
Handsoap, turkey sausage, bread flour, shaved steak, shrimp, corn, rice a roni, or mango fruit bars.
I had to rethink all my dinners for the week!

I also got my Imperfect foods order, sans 2 potatoes. (A day late and 2 spuds short! Ok bad attempt at a joke)
But I was happy to get more olive oil, lots of fruits and veggies including a broccoflower, and  bunches of shallots and scallions.

Between both orders I found enough to make at least most dinners this week. I may need to supplement with a trip to the local store near the end of the week. Or grab takeout. Not bad, really, considering. I did get my hamburger and chicken and scallops. I just wanted something a little different.

I've been in this mode where I want to get the garden going as soon as possible so I can grow food. Partly to supplement food we buy, but also .. growing things makes me have hope. I feel comfort in knowing I can grow food. Maybe it's a survival instinct kicking in.

Hubby helped me get the soil. I'm not positive I bought enough, looking at it, despite the calculation I found on the internet.

First Hubby dropped me off at the entrance line. Then I stood on a red X painted on the ground in my spot in line. It was snowing again so I was glad to have my really warm coat with a hood!
We didn't move for about 10 minutes, so I was getting worried that I could be there for hours. The store closes early and they only let so many people in at a time.

Suddenly a group must have left because 6 of us went in at the same time.
I stood in another socially distanced line to pick up the the soil. I wheeled it down a long corridor of orange buckets lining the way, and hubby pulled up and loaded it into the car.

It's in the driveway now because it was so very cold. And it may stay that way a couple more days until it stops snowing. We are getting at least an inch tomorrow. Jeez. Go away, Winter!

But another thing I was looking at today was growing from scraps. I don't have seed for things like celery or leeks, but these things come with enough root to grow  from the scraps. Even garlic and shallots can be done this way.

The site went on to talk about growing fruit and avocados, but those were all trees, and we don't have a place in the yard for more tree roots. Plus I'm not sure avocados or lemon trees are zone 6a type trees.

So I've been contemplating what kind of containers to grow these things in. And what can I transplant my growing seedlings into before they go in the ground? Probably water and milk jugs, I'm thinking. We already recycle those. Maybe we can reuse them first.

Off topic, but another thing I'm considering is doing cooking videos. We seem to be in this for the long haul, even if we do end up phasing in accessibility to restaurants and stores soon. I'm certain it will not be the same.

And that's okay. But meantime, as we venture out a toe into life again, we may have trust issues. We may still cook a lot. And maybe I can do some good by helping those who don't know how?

Let me know in the comments if you think this would be of interest. I don't want to go and learn how to make videos if its just not something you need. I could try to make it entertaining however. Hmm. I have some bad jokes somewhere....
I did do this once already a long time ago. My son was taking the video. Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvCKzEn6OHw

In any case, let's hope for warmer weather, safety of our friends, sanity and for everyone to stay healthy or get that way. By now I'm betting you know someone or many someones who were affected by the virus personally.  It's sobering and worrisome.

With this fear of getting sick, or not being able to get enough food, or clean enough to prevent being sick, comes looking out for self instead of looking out for others. That's when we do things like hoard cleaning supplies or rush to get the last pork chop. It's hard to breathe and relax and trust in times like this. Being kind takes a back seat to being comfortable in whatever way we can get it. I'm not saying its right, but I do understand. I feel it too.

I believe the best coping mechanism is to find a way to give back. Do something good. Sure you may catch yourself judging others, and feel bad, and vow to stop. But you can also do something kind and helpful.

I'll give you my example.
Years ago, I discovered I had alopecia. I'm lucky in that its usually a spot where my hair just falls out. Once it was my entire hairline. But I have a lot to spare and it wasn't noticeable to anyone but me really. But I am SO VAIN. My hair is really important to me. And at the time of discovery, i had no idea if I was going to lose all of it. Enter anxiety!

So you know what I did? I cried. And I told my people. And then I began bringing in cookies and selling them at work. The money went to the Alopecia foundation to help those affected buy wigs and things. I figured if I put good into the universe, maybe it would come back to me. It's not an unselfish thought, no, but that kicked off my charity which has been going on for 16 years now. I just became someone who raised money for foundations.

Like I said, I'm lucky. With medication my hair does eventually grow back after about a month of using it. Did me making cookies for the charity have anything to do with that? Who could say. Maybe me focusing on helping calmed me down enough to let the medicine do its job.

In anycase, I could relax and breathe and trust again.

This is just my two cents, my experience, in my blog. Take what you want from that. :)

Have a good night!
Vicky









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!