COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 30

Easter preparation has begun.

We were close to being out of eggs, so hubby went and got me eggs, and he also got me this:


I was shocked! And so happy!
He doesn't know this but I was staring at my garden this morning wishing I had planted more flowers. These are going to be planted right in front of the house :)

The first part of the meal is going to be Holiday bread.  Typically it's in a braid, but as the bread expanded, it popped some seams.

Do you all see a dancing pig (if you turn your head to the right) kinda?
I also got some figs, which came in a package all squashed together and kind of dry.
I looked it up, you can soak them in boiling water and they soften right up. So I did that.
Then I read you can soak them in fruit or even alcohol. Oh dang. Next time.

                                               Figs | The Urban Fork   

I'm thawing the lamb and hamburger now. I decided I'd want a mixture of both rather than straight lamb. I haven't had lamb in a long time, it might be more gamey than I remembered.  This is going to become stuffed grape leaves. Pretty excited about this.
                                          Dolmeh barge mo - stuffed grape leaves - Caroline's Cooking

I also got pita bread.

But the biggest part of tomorrow is going to be making the baklawa. I've only ever done this once before. It's a lot of work but this time I got some fresh phyllo from the International Foods store. I'm excited to see how it will taste.

                                                 Olive Oil Baklawa with Pistachios - Rose Water & Orange Blossoms

Since I can't be with my parents, I want to at least eat something that reminds me of when I was a kid. We would eat sunday dinners with my grandpa and grandma Andrews. Sometimes they made Lebanese food, since that's my grandpa's side's nationality.

I've ordered the garlic spread that I learned to love as an adult. We didnt have that at the table when I was a kid, but It really goes with this kind of food. No vampires will ever cross my door!

Tomorrow morning will start off with cinnamon rolls. Those will be baked first thing.
                                                       The Best Ever Vegan Cinnamon Rolls Recipe by Tasty

Then Ill get working on the baklawa while munching on the Easter candy hubby got. He's a lifesaver! I tried but could not find any!

Just after lunch I will start wrapping grape leaves and get the lentils and rice cooking.

And because no one else is terribly excited about the food they can either have tonights chicken or some ravioli I nabbed just in case.

Here's hoping we are back to the new normal soon, I miss my mom and dad a lot.

Have a wonderful Easter day tomorrow.
Enjoy some great food, say hello to the extended family on Google Duo or Zoom or even (gasp!) call them.
It will be rainy and crappy tomorrow, but we will be home safe and warm. And eating way too much food and candy. :)

Love from our house to yours!
Stay safe, sane, and healthy,
Vicky



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!