COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 32

Getting inventive with my vegs and fruits from Imperfect Foods.
I had a red cabbage, with no idea what to do with it. Taste of Home site has been a good source of recipes for me, so looked up a recipe. I found this one, and since I had a bunch of apples, this would kill two birds with one stone.
German Red Cabbage and Apples



It turned dark purple, and could still use some cooking time, but it was pretty good. Even though you see sugar and apples in there, there is also onion and apple cider vinegar.

The kiwi were the next thing that had to be eaten, so I made a fruit salad with 4 kiwi, 2 blood oranges, and 2 bananas. It had a sweet tart kind of flavor. Yum!

Kiwi, Blood Orange, Banana fruit salad. 




The meatloaf (sorry we ate it before I got a picture) was probably the best I ever had.
I looked into making a better meatloaf, since mine is always ugly but tasty.  The texture was off, too, Kind of lumpy? It needed help.

So the key was to first add milk to the breadcrumbs when mixing it, which made the texture better, more even and soft. Then to give it a nice look and a bit of tang, I put just the faintest hint of ketchup basted across the top. Beautiful!
I even got the 13 yr old boy to eat two small bites! (this is a miracle)

Post dinner antics had my daughter wrapping up the cat in a burrito blanket, complete with red flannel "tomato", and green flannel "lettuce", and brown blanket "meat". The cat was less than thrilled and engaged his devil eyes.
Kitty burrito


The dog decided he needed to help, and engaged his own devil eyes.

Kitty need help?


But when we told him that the kitty was fine and had indeed escaped, he looked at me like I was a treat. Mostly because to get the shot, we had to hold a treat up behind my head.

Treat?


Today was my last day off before the final two weeks of coaching my coworkers getting them to certification status. May first will be a relief because my days won't be so jammed with meetings in the double digits.

I'm taking over as a scrum master of my project, so that should be interesting. A new avenue to take, hopefully one that I enjoy and is not as time consuming.

For the bakery, I did get most of my cookbook built, except for Breads and I forgot lollipops and hard candies. Nearing the home stretch of version 1 of this cookbook.

If, and this is a big if, but IF I decide to actually publish the cookbook, it would need professional pictures taken of immaculately baked goods. And I would need testers to bake from the recipe. So there is all that work too.

But really I made it as a reference for myself to make all the offerings I want to sell.
I already know I'm going to want to add in some Japanese pastries. I just may need a class on that to get good at it.

Look these are so sweet!
                                       Cozy Corner's 'osechi'-style cake set - Japan Today

Anyway, back to the cookbook. Gotta be ready when the dream becomes a reality!

Stay safe, sane and healthy, my friends.
And keep dreaming the dream!

Vicky

Comments

  1. Meatloaf Recipe:
    1 lb ground chuck
    1 egg
    1/2 c breadcrumbs
    1/4 c milk
    1/2 tsp celery seed
    1/2 tsp savory
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp onion powder

    Prepare loaf pan :
    1 loaf pan, add foil and spray with spray oil

    Mix wearing gloves in a big bowl.
    Dump into a prepared loaf pan.
    Pat into place

    Baste lightly with ketchup

    Bake at 350F for 45 mins

    Take out of foil and slice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!