COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Before breakfast, I punched down the sourdough that was now more than doubled.
Then I pushed it into a wide flat shape and rolled it up, tucking it into a loaf pan.
I let it sit until after the lunch time baking was done.

For lunch we made khachapuri. This was my friend's recipe I mentioned earlier. Since my stand mixer was in the dishwasher I used the breadmaker to mix the dough.
When it was ready I asked if the kids wanted one of the dough balls to make their own. Here is what each of us did.
Son made cheeseless pizza (upper left)
I made cheese with butter and green onions (bottom right)
This one will get the egg
The one on the left is cheese and butter only
The one on the right is cheese and brown sugar (it kept unfolding!)
Daughter did something even more different, she made
what could be described as a brown sugar cinnamon calzone
I couldn't get a photo of the pizza one baked because son grabbed and ate it before I had a chance to snap one.

The green onion with the egg. Yum!
Left is the brown sugar and cheese, right is the straight cheese and butter

Son said his pizza thing was too cooked and he didnt like it because of that.
Daughter ate her roll before I could snap a pic, but I did try it, and it looked like a cinnamon roll when cut in cross section. But the brown sugar on the inside made it slimy. She didnt like it that much either.

Hubby said his cheese one was okay, he didnt try the egg.
In my opinion, I needed more cheese and maybe a better variety.
It calls for Sulguni and Mozarella. I had Monterey Jack. The vanilla of all cheeses!

And I didnt have one cup per pastry - being lactose intolerant I held back on the cheese a bit. But I think a stronger cheese and more of it would have helped. I'll have to see if I can get the Sulguni somewhere here. 

I will tell you that adding the brown sugar to the cheese one was exactly like Houston's The Rock's Brown Sugar Mozzarella Bread. In other words to die for!

I'll keep playing with that recipe. :) Thanks do my dear friend for giving me the recipe! 

Now that the oven was free again, I placed the risen sourdough bread dough into the oven with a pan of water.
It came out about an hour later soft fairly dense crumb and very much a sour dough bread.
George the sourdough bread, first try

Soft and sour and delicious!
When they say each homemade sourdough has a distinctive flavor, they were right. This one has a bright sour flavor and it went great with a salty butter while still warm. George is resting in the fridge, gets fed again today and then not again until sunday when we bake it again, this time making rolls.

For dinner, I made shrimp stir fry with 7 different vegetables because we must cook all the things!

the wok
Cauliflower, mushrooms, peppers, and tomatoes


Rice, carrots, baby corns, water chestnuts

In hindsight, this would be better with uncooked shrimp because by the time you heat it through, its too rubbery. Lesson learned!
Besides its cool to see grey shrimp turn pink when you cook it. :)

I cook the veggies, 2 at a time, then put them in a bowl, and repeat until they are all done.
I tend to do the thicker veggies first because residual heat, once again, is a real thing.
So it went cauliflower, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and already cooked baby corn and water chestnuts (you want them to stay crunchy)

Below is a little video of grape tomatoes cooking. They hop when you cook them, probably because the skin is tightening and the inside cells are bursting. I just thought it was cool and you'd like to see.



Then once all in a bowl, I heat up oil and add a tsp of minced garlic, a tsp of minced ginger and cook them. Then add the shrimp to warm. Then add all the veggies, mix the sauce (1/4 c cornstarch, 2 c chicken stock, 1/4 c soy sauce) and pour it in. I make a well so I can see the thickness and adjust with a slurry of cornstarch and water until it's right.

I mix it all together and serve with rice.

Thickening the sauce

Good stuff.

In case you were wondering, as I ping pong around the kitchen from microwave to stove to sink to refrigerator, I have a "helper".

Otis, helping.

He loves to sample the cooking, and help me when I drop things so the floor stays tidy.
Here he is ensuring that I don't move too fast and trip over a dog and hurl food across the room. That or he intends to be on this magic carpet when it makes its initial flight around the city.

Now I just need someone to help me clean the kitchen. Otis, of course is nowhere to be found.

That's it for now.

Stay safe, sane, and healthy!
Vicky


Comments

  1. The easiest way to have "mock" sulguni is to use mozzarella with a little salt added to it. Yes, khachapuri is best when you use lots of cheese and butter - not so "healthy" - but oh! so good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138