COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 67

Rice a roni Low Sodium has been scarce lately, and if you follow my facebook posts, you saw they were gouging price from regularly $1 to $6 on Amazon, per box. 

After a month of trying Kroger still didn't have it, so today I tried to make my own. 
Now, the reason I care so much is because I grew up on the stuff and it is my comfort food. 
I also have a sensitivity to MSG, so while I can tolerate the amount in the low sodium type, I can't eat the regular Rice a roni. 


I started with a recipe on the internet, but had to modify it since the recipe calls for chicken bouillon, which anyone who has the sensitivity knows, is loaded with MSG. 

The original recipe from Angie of "Big Bear's Wife"  is below.*
*Homemade Chicken Rice-A-Roni
Ingredients
1 cup raw angel hair pasta broken into 1/2 inch long pieces
1 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
4 cups chicken broth
2 cup water
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powered
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 chicken bouillon cube

Directions

In medium skillet saute broken pasta pieces in butter, stirring constantly, until the pasta begins to brown.
Add rice, stirring until the rice is well coated with the butter and the pasta browns a little more.
Carefully pour in broth and water. Stir.
Add in the spices and bouillon cubes. Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed. Should take about 20-25 minutes

But Since I couldn't use the bouillon cubes and water that goes with it (the 2 cups) I decided to go with 6 cups of chicken stock. 
Note here, chicken broth is made from meat and some vegs and herbs thus  needing MSG in it as well since you don't get a lot of flavor if you dont' also have bones.
If you get chicken stock or bone broth, there is much more flavor, and they dont need the MSG. So it's much easier to find that kind without it. 

I didnt have onion powder (just ran out yesterday) so I subbed in a chunk of onion, grated into the mixture. 
I added 1 tsp of parsley, dried and crushed fine, and 1 tsp of the chicken flavoring from Bavarian Inn (they sell it in the store downstairs at Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth, MI) and for color, 3 pinches of turmeric.

I saw in the comments they were giving her some trouble about the amount of liquid. Here is how i figured out she was right: 
1 cup of pasta needs 2 cups of liquid, as it will double in size. 
1 1/2 cupd of rice needs 4 to 4 1/2 cups of liquid as it nearly triples in size. 

So 6 cups of liquid is totally realistic. 

What I think the reader claiming it was mushy didn't take into account is that the rice she must've used was not long grain, but sushi rice. Because that will definitely turn mushy. It's supposed to. 

It turned out great. I may add a touch of salt but it doesnt need much so make sure to do that after you make it!

For those with MSG sensitivity, I hope this helped.  :)

This is my own version.**
**Homemade Chicken Rice A Roni

 Ingredients

1 cup raw angel hair pasta broken into 1/2 inch long pieces

1 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice

6 cups chicken broth

4 tablespoons butter or margarine

1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

1/2 teaspoon onion powered

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 tsp chicken seasoning from Bavarian inn

½ tsp parsley, dried

3 Pinches turmeric

Directions 

In medium skillet saute broken pasta pieces in butter, stirring constantly, until the pasta begins to brown.

Add rice, stirring until the rice is well coated with the butter and the pasta browns a little more.

Carefully pour in broth and water. Stir.

Add in the spices except for the turmeric. Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed. Should take about 20-25 minutes

Add 3 pinches of turmeric for color

Yield: 6-8 large servings 

Stay safe, sane, and healthy, my friends!
Vicky

Comments

  1. Sounds delicious and probably tastier than the boxed version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whats nice is you can control the salt level too. So its doable for anyone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138