A new way of eating - week 1, part 1

Well I got the news yesterday from the Nutritionist.

 I'm a bit shocked to be honest. While I'm healthier than I thought, I'm also in need of some changes. And for the next 90 days those changes don't include red meat. While Hubby has another set of rules meaning he gets not only beef but lamb. He has other challenges with his diet, though, that I would not want. We are doing this together, however, we have two different paths to follow.

Another shock? I shouldn't be trying to get to my high school weight. I should actually be 10 lbs heavier than that. How about that. Hmm.

So anyway, making and eating dinner has it challenges.  I'm picking my way through to figure out how to do it.

My go-to cooking method is frying in butter and oil. Hubby can't have any fat added, so I'm having to figure out how to cook without it.

Yesterday we had chicken, so I added some Pampered Chef Parmesan garlic spice mix and braising it in water. That turned out pretty good but you really have to time it so you don't end up with tough meat. I made carrots too, and using no canned goods means your timing for making vegs is going to be longer. I barely had time to eat before running off to Tai Chi.

Today is turkey day, and i don't have a lot of Turkey Tricks up my sleeve, so I wandered around the internet, realized I do make a yogurt marinade for chicken, so I dug into that. We can both have yogurt. Yay.
I added to the yogurt some zest from a lemon and an orange, and some herbs from the garden (thyme and rosemary). Then I put in some garlic paste and mixed it together. I brushed this mixture over the turkey cutlets that I cut into chunks and baked at 325.

It smells good.  Kinda cant wait for dinner now.


Comments

  1. Wow, sounds like lots of changes and planning. Keep us posted on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new challenge !! as for the weight goal, I agree with the nutritionist. when I was in high school I weighed 103. my weight watchers goal is anywhere in the range of 108 - 128. I one time got down to 114 but didn't feel good. as for not cooking with butter or oil, did you ask her if you can use Pam cooking spray, olive oil or butter flavor ? that's what I use most of the time. well, good luck my dear. hope it goes well and you get the results you are looking for. I think you're perfect, but I might be biased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up potatoes, most rice and most breads 4 years ago now. Sure, I have a little when we eat out, but almost never at home.
    I still have a lot a weight to lose, but really hard to do when strapped to a chair writings papers 24-7. I lost a bunch just by moving to Kentucky. (surprise).
    Good luck with what you need to do. Use the grill, uses a ton less butter. Talk to Tom about that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!