COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 69

I've not ever had any cravings for kale until I had trader joe's cheesy kale chips. 
Trips there aren't likely, and I would eat the entire box when I got them, so I haven't been out there in a long while. 

But today I got my box of veggies, and kale was in there. Did I intentionally keep it when I customized the box? I can't remember to be honest. 

But since there was a miscommunication about yeast vs Nutritional yeast, I have some Nutritional yeast. And I began to to wonder if I had what I needed to make the chips. 

I found a recipe by the Minimalist Baker, so I thought I'd give it a try. 

Kale unbundled

Drying the Kale after destemming and ripping to bite sized pieces


Added oil to rub in

Ready to go into the oven

It's in the oven baking away. I really hope this is as good as TJs. 

It's looking good already.

For dinner we had baked scallops and purple brussels sprouts, cut in half and roasted. 
Next time I'd make them on the stove shredded. There was too much bitter for so much sweet (the scallops) 
Baked scallops, purple brussels sprouts, garlic butter noodles, watermelon slices

Okay the first batch is done and cooling: 
Left before baking, right after baking
Looking right!

Tasting....

Mmmm pretty good!
I think I'll add a bit more salt next time and some more nutritional yeast. But these are already really close. 

Here is the recipe. Let me know if you try it. 
Kale Chips!

Cheesy Kale Chips
Ingredients
 
10 ounces chopped kale leaves (washed, thoroughly dried // stems removed)
2 Tbsp grape seed, olive or avocado oil
1/4 cup raw cashews
2 Tbsp raw or roasted (unsalted) sunflower seeds
5-6 Tbsp nutritional yeast (divided)
1/4 tsp each salt + black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 healthy pinch cayenne pepper (optional)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (148 C).
Add kale to a large mixing bowl and drizzle with oil. Use hands to massage the kale to soften its texture and disperse the oil. Set aside.
Add cashews, sunflower seeds, 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast (12 g // amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size), salt, pepper, garlic pepper, and cayenne pepper (optional) to a food processor or blender and blend/pulse into a fine meal, scraping down sides as needed.
Add spice mixture to the kale and toss with hands to distribute, working it into the grooves so it's thoroughly coated.
Divide kale between 2 large baking sheets (or more if increasing batch size) and spread into an even layer, making sure the pieces aren't overlapping to ensure crispiness. You may need to bake them in two batches depending on size of baking sheets.
Sprinkle the kale with remaining 1-2 Tbsp (3-6 g // amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) nutritional yeast for extra flavor and bake for 15 minutes. Then remove from oven and toss/flip kale to ensure even baking.
Bake for 5-10 minutes more, or until chips are crispy and golden brown. Watch carefully to ensure they don't burn. Let cool slightly before enjoying.
Once completely cooled, store leftovers in a large plastic bag or container for 2-3 days. The crispy texture begins fading past 24 hours, so enjoy as close to baking as possible!


Stay safe, sane, and healthy!
Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake