COVID-19 Virus shutdown, Day 8

We always talked about the millenials and how they had their noses in their phones all the time. But now we can see, if you took away everything but the phones and computers, you find that people
become lonely. They use the technology to sing songs together and help each other with kids' homework or sign petitions to help those in the medical field to get more masks and other coverings.
Even our teams put together a group online event to share pictures of our pets and kids as new "coworkers" as we work from home, to boost morale.

I'm heartened by this.

We aren't so self focused lately, and our true humanity is showing.

More and more activities are closing off for me. It's at the point now where work, grocery pickup, and meals/desserts are the only things I must do.
My class that was to start week after next was canceled and they gave me my money back (yes I know I'm lucky). And the sword show my brother and I were talking about is now most likely going to be shutdown or delayed. Everyone I know canceled plans to go.

To keep my sanity, I need to find something to tackle, to move me forward toward my goal of having a successful bakery delivery service. This is still easy because I can bake now that I'm home. But I feel like I need to step back, regroup, and make a list of things to try. And that points back to what will my bakery be about.

With each class I am more and more confident about my abilities. I think that's really what taking this Baking and Pastry Certificate path is about for me. Really understanding it by doing, and it being okay when I mess up. And yes I could practice from recipes I find online for free, and I could listen to people tell me that I'm good at it and just believe them. But I'm not built that way I guess.

I talked to my teacher today who pointed out that the latest book I bought from the college was really good for that.

I think I'll just write down what would amaze me if walking in to a bakery and reproduce them. What excites me will excite people like me. I think the demographic I'm going after are people just like me, enjoying convenience.

Today I made the goulash that everyone likes but really it was daughters boyfriend who seemed most excited about it. I used to get all worked up when I made a meal and no one seemed to care or like it. Now, I don't really care. If it makes me happy, I'm good. If someone else likes it, icing on the cake baby.

Made homemade bread, sugar carrots and corn for sides.

I'm inventing a muffin, too. I have these grapefruits that came in from Imperfect foods, and they were tiny, which usually means sour. I'd heard of broiled grapefruit with brown sugar and started hunting for recipes.
I turned them into a grapefruit and browned butter muffin. There is a glaze that goes with the muffin recipe I found (for just grapefruit muffins, the browned butter part is my idea). I have to do that, still, but the muffins need to cool first.



This is entertaining for me. And if it turns out to be a winner it goes in the potential offerings bucket.

What are you working on lately?
Stay safe and healthy!
Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138