COVID-19 Virus shutdown, Day 4

How are you doing?
I am doing pretty well; I'm one of the lucky ones. I have food, toilet paper, can work from home. My kids are older so they can go off to another room as I work.

I could have it so much worse.

It's a strange new normal here.
All my activities were canceled - all the martial arts, the cooking classes, the church gatherings and services, the lunch dates with friends (since there wont be restaurants open).

So far I've instilled a new cleaning chore cycle, we are eating dinners at the table every night, I'm working at my kitchen table, and walking away from it when i'm done for the day.

I got a sad call from my dentist. who is retired as of last week. He wanted to touch base since i've been going to him for years. Hes such a nice man, I cant feel too bad that he wants to go enjoy life now. Pretty good timing, to be honest, getting out of the field.

My thoughts, usually scattered and worried about doing well in school, testing for a belt or the next level in martial arts, doing well at work, are now calm and even. Just thinking about the next few hours of my day and how to keep the family safe but not stir crazy. Finding something to celebrate every day.

I wonder if this is how life will be when I retire? Less to do, less to worry about. Will I be okay with it? If I never open a bakery, will that be okay too?
I can't be sure. But I think I will remember this period of my life, and how it all unfolds, when I do retire.

Today I am making my favorite meal, chicken and rice. Thinking of making chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Time to fill the cookie jar.

This cookie jar has a history - my Grandma Andrews had one just like it, and we grandkids loved to go raid the cookie jar, even if the cookies were weird and yucky. It was always a source of amazement and hope. Last year, when my cousins birthday came along I got her one and I got me one so we could remember.

It's been empty lately. See, I love to bake but had been spending all my time baking for others, not for my kids. Everything was for the work charity, or for a bake sale or an order.

So, yeah. Time to fill the cookie jar.
Stay safe and healthy!
Vicky







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138