Day 4: 40 days of Blogging for Lent - Woot! Made breakky!

Day 4: March 4th, Friday

Mustn't give up now, time to march forth!

Meals:
Breakfast: Syrian bread and jam. Needed to go back in the oven, got stale. Mrph. :(
Lunch: Two attempts at cheesey grits. Neither very good.
Dinner: Grandma Brown's Spanish Rice. It's more of a chili almost. Its very good. But secret, sorry.

For breakfast tomorrow:
Try #3 for Granola bars.

Exercise:
Mall walking and Karate. Both very fun, of course!

Today's' recipe:
Cake-like Granola Bars
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/245914/baked-oatmeal-breakfast-bars/

Gonna try this again, real time. Bear with me. ...

I looked at the picture a few times because it had fruit in it. Yet the recipe doesn't call for fruit.
I re-read. This recipe is a base for bars, meaning you decide what to add to it. Oh cool!

Okay... Well I'd been gnawing on some dried apricots while watching the British Baking Show, so I decided rather than eat them all, I'd put some into the bars.

You add oats, brown sugar, white sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder in one bowl. Then in the other, you put eggs, milk, vanilla and a bit of oil.
Then you mix the wet into the dry and let it sit for 20 minutes. At this point I'd add the dried fruit or nuts or both. It's just a guess, really.


While doing this I was analyzing the fruit angle and added a half cup of chopped apricots. I'll keep it simple for now, try other stuff next time.

That's really it, Bake for a bit and you're done.  At least thats what it says. Still waiting for the 20 minute melding time to go by.

You know, it reminds me of that yogurt/oats thingy that people make. I dont like yogurt unless its on my grape leaves or lentils and rice. Too tart for sweet stuff, in my opinion.

Okay then, its time to bake it. 30 minutes.
I put foil in my glass 8x8 pan and then sprayed oil on the foil.

The oats dont really soak up much liquid during the twenty minutes but it says they soak up flavors.
20 mins down and they are still liquid. Hmm..
10 to go...

ah, it finally set up after 30 minutes. Whew! I thought this was not going to work!
It smells really good. Breakfast tomorrow, baked!



G'night all.


Bakers: If you try this one, let me know what you add.
Go try it!

Love,
Vicky AKA the Clumsy Chef
zzzzzzz.....

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138