Day 3: 40 days of Blogging for Lent - Are we having fun yet?

Day 3: March 3rd, Friday
Meals:
Breakfast: Homemade Granola - the last of it. boo.
Lunch: Chicken and artichoke, lentils and rice.
Dinner: Stuffed Grape leaves, Leban, Lentils and Rice, Syrian Bread

Exercise:
Weights today. I was the only one in the gym for a while!

Today's' recipe:
Syrian Bread

Today I practiced the Lebanese dinner I want to teach.
It took a while, and I'm not sure about the bread since it takes even longer than the grape leaves - and that takes 1 1/2 hours!

Needless to say, I have a few details to work out.

But, its so good it needs to be part of it. 

For a half recipe:
Oven is set to 500 F. See rack configuration: 

The lower rack is close to the bottom and the higher rack is close to the top, dont use the middle section. 

You start out with 3 cups of flour, 1 cup warm water, 1 packet yeast, couple pinches of sugar, and about a tablespoon of salt, and a tablespoon of oil.

I'm not big on waiting, so I cheated the recipe and put the flour in the bowl first, made a well, and put the warm water and yeast in the center. while I gathered other ingredients around the edges on the flour. Then I mixed it in one bowl It worked just fine. 

You mix it up until the flour is incorporated and cover it in oil. I have olive oil spray, so I put that on it, flipped it over, and sprayed the top. Then you put saran wrap directly on it to keep it moist while it doubles in size (1 1/2 hours). 

Then you punch it down, break it into 10 to 12 pieces and make them into balls and cover again with Saran wrap and let rise another half hour. 

Then the fun begins. 

Put the ball onto a work surface. Roll it out with a rolling pin until its 1/8 inch thick. 
I used a baking stone, and put 3 pieces on a sheet. 

Put the bread dough on the sheet and place on the bottom rack for 5 mins. 
Move to the top rack for 2-4 mins, you want it browned but not blackened. 
It should poof up if you get it all right. 
But even the flat ones are awesome. 

Serve with garlic spread (I buy this, I can't find a recipe and dont have a commercial blender). 

If there are any left, when they are cooled, put them in a plastic bag. Foil may also work but I'm skeptical.

The boy loves it.


Go try it!

Love,
Vicky AKA the Clumsy Chef


Cancer Prevention site of the day: 
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/The-10-commandments-of-cancer-prevention

Blog list for healthy eating: 
http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20934662,00.html

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138