Shopping the Fridge: Porkchops, Cabbage with bacon, small potatoes

 It's gotten to the point where the fridge is just full of stuff. I don't even know what's in there anymore. And check both the top freezer of my fridge and the small extra freezer, they're both full. 

Time to do some Shopping the Fridge for dinner tonight. 

From the veg/fruit subscription, I had a couple bags of small potatoes. I put those in a pot of water to boil and thawed out some thick pork chops. 



I had a half box left of Shake n Bake for that. But it wasn't going to be quite enough, so I pulled out the mustard and rosemary. 


Or so I thought. Note the empty rosemary jar.



Turns out I was out of rosemary from the garden, so went for the spice I found in my spice rack. That was not coming out of the tin. I dug to try to get some out, but it was kind of ... I guess sticky? I realized it had gone rancid when I took a sniff. Ick. Into the trash that went. Gross.


Digging around some more in the spice rack, I found some Marjoram. I know its' in the Oregano family but I decided beggars cant be choosers and added it onto the chops. 


Threw the chops into the oven and worked on the veg. 

I cut up a head of cabbage, added it to the big pan and added oil, butter, salt, pepper, and water. Once the water cooked out and the cabbage was boiled, the butter and oil would allow it to fry in the same pan. 



Now, what to do to make this better?

Digging around in the freezer, I found some left over homemade bacon bits, so those went into the cabbage for flavor and a little crunch. I just tossed them into a small pan to heat them up and ensure they werent soggy. 




Once the potatoes were boiled, I drained them and put them back in the pot with some cut up butter chunks and onion salt. 

All that was left was to plate. Yummy!



Join me for another edition of Shopping the Fridge, coming to a blog near you!

Vicky


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138