Shopping the Fridge: Tuscan Shrimp Pasta

 OMG you guys this one is my favorite so far!

Just look at it!


So I had some shrimp left in the freezer (It's frozen food day today, did you know? Ask Sandra Boynton). It wasnt a LOT of shrimp, so I had to be sure to use it in something that wouldnt matter too much if you didnt get a lot.  I found a Tuscan Shrimp Pasta on Delish. 

You start with the garlic. I have a beautiful bulb. Sometimes you get those ones that have been around the block a little, and they end up brown or rubbery. Not these. Full of garlicky oily goodness. 
These have been crushed to remove their skins and chop. 

Since I didnt have a lot of shrimp, I cut them into thirds. 

Here is the garlic chopped and sizzling with butter and red pepper flakes. Smells good in here!


The shrimp was added, turned pink, and removed. Then since I forgot to add the parsley when it was cooking i threw some on while resting on the plate. Looks like grass clippings but I assure you it was parsley. 

In the same pan, I added a box of baby spinach that had been waiting for me. Those boxes are the best. I think I got this a month ago and it was still good. Here the spinach is "wilting" in the pan. I did spray it with some olive oil because I feared there was not enough butter left and it might burn. 
The recipe called for either crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes, but just a cup. My problem is I had either a cup of San Marzanos whole, or a Giant can of crushed. I went with the San Marz of course because this special little light bulb shaped tomato when peeled is sauce waiting to happen. I think Pioneer Woman said that at one time? All I had to do was plop it in the sauce pot and cut it up a bit with my spatula. There, Sauce. 
To that we add 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Oh did i mention before I did any of this I was boiling spaghetti? It's what I had. The recipe called for Penne, but the point of Shopping the Fridge was not to buy anything. I didnt say that part earlier? Well it is. 
Anyway I had my spaghetti boiling away, so I took the 1/2 cup measuring cup and half filled it, added to the sauce. Then I added 1/2 cup of cheese. See? Used only one measuring cup. Less to wash. 

Mmm sauce. 

Better sauce, when adding a bit of cream to it.... ooh baby


Here is the sauce with the cheese and shrimp added....

Once the pasta was done and drained, I added all of it to the pot. (About half a box). 


At this point Gordon Ramsay will tell you to TASTE it. He's not wrong. It needed salt!
But boy when I got the salt adjusted, it was divine!
I warmed up the last of the sourdough biscuits from yesterday and voila, a meal!

Hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed eating it. 
Here is the recipe:
Tuscan Shrimp Pasta

INGREDIENTS
kosher salt
12 oz. penne or other pasta

2 tbsp. butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb. medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. Freshly Chopped Parsley

3 c. baby spinach
1 c. crushed or diced canned tomatoes
3/4 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
 
DIRECTIONS
In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook penne until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water, and return to pot.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add red pepper flakes and shrimp and season 
with salt and pepper. Cook until shrimp is pink, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Add parsley and combine. Set shrimp aside on a plate (keep juices in skillet).

To skillet, add spinach and season with salt. Let wilt, 2 minutes, then add tomatoes, heavy cream, 1/4 cup pasta water, and Parmesan and simmer, 5 minutes.

Add shrimp and cooked penne and stir until combined. (If you want it more saucy, add remaining 1/4 cup pasta water.)

Garnish with Parm and serve.

Love Vicky


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138