German food: Wiener Schnitzel

This is my husband's favorite German meal. I have yet to perfect it but this turned out pretty good.

It's rare I find veal in the supermarket, to be honest. But I found it recently.
And of course you may not ever want to eat it, if you really think about what it is you're eating.

So if it bothers you, you can always buy pork cutlets and make Jager Schnitzel. That's good too.

The trick is to ensure you don't overcook it.



This is what you're going for ^ so this is not my schnitzel, but it was close. I never got a photo of After, I was too busy eating. True story!

It is thin, about 1/4 inch, and breaded using Parmesan cheese in the egg mixture, which frankly I'd never tried before. I think it makes a world of difference.

You put flour in bowl 1; eggs, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, and a touch of nutmeg in bowl 2; and bread crumbs in bowl 3. Some people use panko bread crumbs....really for everything.... but I find a finer crumb is what I want in this dish.  Panko makes for a bigger crunch, but there's a trick to making something like Fried Chicken, that you dont need Panko for, so it's not the only thing you can use.



Then you take your veal and if it's not already thin cut, you pound it between two sheets of plastic wrap.

Dip in flour, egg mixture, then bread crumbs and put on a plate.
At this point you can refrigerate 1 hour up to overnight.


Heat up vegetable oil and fry for about 1-2 mins per side. Really watch it. It can get dark really quickly.

Salt it and serve with lemon wedges. Eating it with lemon on top is so good. It really is the best flavor combination.
I ended up eating two of them and I never do that!

Here is the recipe from All Recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/78117/wienerschnitzel/

Enjoy!
Let me know if you try it. :)

Vicky aka The Clumsy Chef


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Chicken Roma

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!