Shogayaki....kind of.


I looked up my list of "what are we having for dinner tonight" and rather than a meal listed, i just had "Pork." Hm. 

Fortunately I have a cookbook library of recipes on my pc, so I looked around and decided that since I have never had Shogayaki, a Japanese ginger pork recipe, I would try that. 

The first problem was that I  needed soy sauce. I keep forgetting to buy it, you see. And I keep forgetting to write it down, too. Luckily I have soy sauce packets from when we had Chinese food. 

The next problem was I didnt have sake. I thought maybe I could substitute vodka, but when I looked up substitutions for sake in a sauce, it mentioned rice wine or sherry, neither of which i had, or chicken stock or even water. I opted for water. 

It also called for ginger juice, which I didnt have, but i had that squeezable ginger stuff so I used that. Smells good. 





The recipe also called for evaporated cane juice (cane sugar). If you have turbinado sugar, this is what you need. I use it a lot in baking for crunch. 

So all of that went into the yellow bowl and got mixed until the sugar dissolved, 

This is the marinade. 

The thing about marinades for me is that i rarely think ahead, so I rarely have enough time to let the food sit in the marinade. 

My rule of thumb is that unless there is a lot of acid and the food might need to break down in the acid, I dont sweat it, It usually turns out fine, especially when the marinade goes right in to the sauce. 



Meantime I made rice with the 10-10 method. 

Rice plus 3x the amount of water, in the pot, cook med until it boils, set timer for 10 mins, turn off heat, set timer again with lid on for 10 mins. Rice is done. Try it. :)

The pork had to be cut thin, on a diagonal, here is my attempt. Ignore the bacon grease to the right, that's another project. 

For the vegetable, i made broccoli, then decided it needed a sauce too. I shouldve just steamed the broccoli, in hindsight, but i forged ahead. 

After adding broccoli and way too many carrots, then chicken stock, the rest of my soy packets, some honey, more ginger, and some cornstarch to thicken the sauce, i essentially had a japanese chinese dish when it was mixed together. 

It wasnt bad just too many carrots, really, and the meat was much better than the vegs. 

You live and learn!


 Happy Sunday

Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!