COVID-19 Virus, Day 124


This past weekend I finally chose the recipe from the first cookbook on my shelf, "Weight watchers desserts". It was an Apple-Cranberry Coffee Cake. 


After discussing with the family , they didn't want cranberries, nor a substitute like cherries or raisins. 
So just apple it was. The batter is almost a dough its so thick!
You sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top so you get that crunch. 



Looks good right?

I baked it and boy did it smell good. You know that cinnamon sugar smell when you eat cinnamon rolls or when you make an apple pie? Yeah that smell. 



Oh and it looked good too! Beautiful when I cut into it with chunks of apple. 
Couldn't wait to dive in.


And then...  something was wrong. 

I looked at the recipe again. 
You see when I created the topping for the coffee cake, it said to use 2 tsp of sugar. 
Having used that sugar, I moved on to the next ingredient. And I never looked back. 

There was 3/4 of a cup of sugar I just didn't put in. Ohhh man.

I did look it up and there is a way to fix this. You apparently create a soak of 1 c water, 3/4 c sugar by boiling the two and pour it over the cake and let it soak. So then the sugar goes in to the coffee cake. 
Let it stand for 45 mins. 

I'm gonna try this. 



Since the coffee cake called for 3/4 c sugar, that's what I put in the pot with 1 cup water. 
I cooked it until the sugar dissolved. 




I scooted the remainder over and poured over the sugar syrup. Then covered it with plastic wrap. 
Now we wait. 

Wish me luck!

Note: I may also try this with dried cherries, for myself. Because I like them. 

Stay safe, sane, and healthy!
Vicky

PS... As a followup, the coffee cake turned wet and soggy... more like a bread pudding but no egg to hold it together. Trashed it.
But hey, it was sweet! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake