COVID-19 Virus Day 116

So I bet you're wondering how the diet is going?
Well even if you weren't I'm going to tell you!

I lost 7/10ths of a pound, through 4th of july weekend and shut down week when all I had to do was eat, I still lost weight. Yay me!

I'm hoping to do much better in the coming weeks, but down is the direction so I'm happy. 

I figure you probably don't want to hear the ins and outs every day, and I frankly dont want to write them haha. 
But once a week or so I can give an update. 

On a totally different topic, I was looking at the "Read 100 books in the summer and get a pizza party" contest that we used to have as kids... someone mentioned that ina meme, but it got me thinking, what the heck would I read to get to 100? Even if most kids books are say 100 pages or less, so you could cut it down to say 33 books for an adult, 
I don't actually have any unread actual books, and I have to keep getting them on my kindle app to read. 

I really want books to hold in my hand.  But I don't want to deal with yet another "contactless pickup" when they are still tearing apart  our streets and now there is a parking structure for the library. I know i'm being a baby but its too much change!! At this point I dont even know where the entrance is for parking or if I can get there (construction). 

I had a thought though. I have a LOT of cookbooks. 
What if, I looked through a cookbook each week and chose one recipe from it to try out?
That would keep me occupied for quite a while. 

Giving that a try, I am staring at my bookshelf. I have about 170 cookbooks, of varying sizes shapes and purposes. 
That would take over 3 years!

No time like the present. So starting on the upper left of my shelf (since the books are not in any order).... we have"Weight Watchers Best Ever Desserts". Well if THAT doesnt represent me what does? ha!
I have a lot of apples right now so I'm thinking something with apples. 

Meanwhile, tonight we had Beef with Broccoli. 

So here's the secret of the meat being so good at chinese restaurants - they cover it in a slurry of cornstarch and then cook it until JUST done. 

The rice, I learned from the Frugal Gourmet. The way you gotta cook it is this: 
Bring water to just boiling, and rice (Rice:Water is 1:2), set to low heat so it just simmers, cover for 10 mins, turn off heat (do NOT lift lid) and let sit for 10 more mins. Fluff and eat!

Here is the recipe:

Easy Beef and Broccoli

 PREP: 10 MINUTES  COOK: 10 MINUTES  YIELD: 4 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS

3 Tablespoons cornstarch, divided

1 pound flank steak, cut into thin 1-inch pieces

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce

3 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar

1 Tablespoon minced garlic

2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided

4 cups small broccoli florets

1/2 cup sliced white onions

 

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water.

 Add the beef to the bowl and toss to combine.

 

In a separate small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch

 with the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. Set the sauce aside.

 

Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the

 vegetable oil and once it is hot, add the beef and cook, stirring constantly

 until the beef is almost cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef

 to a plate and set it aside.

 

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan and once it is hot,

add the broccoli florets and sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until

the broccoli is tender, about 4 minutes. 

 

Return the beef to the pan then add the prepared sauce. Bring the mixture to a

 boil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the sauce thickens slightly.

 Serve with rice or noodles. 

Make sure you use the LOW SALT soy sauce, otherwise it will be too salty. :)

Stay safe, sane, and healthy!
Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake