Chicken for Rice a Roni

 In our house we have chicken and rice a roni often. When I was a kid, we had it at my Grandma Andrews house, with pine nuts,  and again at my Moms house without. Green beans were generally a side.

***Mom, look away now. ***

I always liked the sides better than the chicken part, because chicken breasts always tasted dry to me. No matter what recipe we used, it was always dry inside. 

Even in my house and I've been to culinary school. Until I used my thermometer.

This lady, Ali, at https://www.gimmesomeoven.com  has come up with a great recipe for chicken that truly does come out really well.  She gives you a lot of options but this is how I did it tonight: 

Here's the plan, she says. 
Brine, Brush, Rub/sprinkle, Roast, Rest. 

Following her plan/formula/recipe: 

1. Fill a big bowl with water and add a claw of salt  (my word not hers. Make a claw with your hand like the game that grabs toys, and instead grab the salt. I use kosher salt. Table salt will slip through your fingers. Any way its more than a pinch. Or you can measure a tablespoon) 
2. Dissolve salt in water by swishing it around. Go ahead use your claw. Maybe an open claw for this. This is the brine. (*Note: I cut my chicken breasts in half the long way.) Now put the chicken in the brine. Set a timer for 15 mins. Set your oven to 450F. 

3. Start your sides (I did rice a roni, fresh green beans, and heated up some leftover roasted butternut squash - this one takes an hour, dont make that from scratch!)

4. When the timer goes off, I set it on some absorbent paper towels and dried the chicken breasts. This is a trick I learned by doing scallops. Dry the meat to get the fat to stick to it. 

5. Brush with melted butter on one side. Sprinkle with a rub made of Paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. I would do 3:2:2:1 ratio in that order. Flip over the chicken onto a foil lined cookie sheet and brush the other side with butter and sprinkle with the rub. 

6. Now, dont leave the kitchen. It took 8 mins I kid you not*. Make sure your sides are stirred and nearly done. Put the chicken in THE TOP PART OF THE OVEN and set the timer for 8 mins. Grab that digital thermometer and a hot pad. 450 F oven is really hot. Check the batteries are loaded to the thermometer and opening the pokey part turns on the device. If not, now is the time to put in new batteries. 

7. If you smell burning, remember you are also cooking butter and herbs at a high temp, but check anyway. Don the oven mitt. Open the digital thermometer/click the red button. Put it in a thick part of the chicken meat and check. You are looking for around 160F. If its there pull out the chicken. If not put it back in. Wait another 3 mins. We are not going on time we are going on temp. And this baby needs to hit 165F. With residual heat from resting, it will get there OUTSIDE the oven so pull it at 160. 

8. Set it on something that can withstand 450F. It will cool pretty quick but let it sit there for 5 mins. 

9. Put the sides out. 

10. Using a fork or tongs, pull the chicken and put it on a plate. And serve. 

***Okay Mom look now. ***

I bought you a digital thermometer, it should be there Tuesday. Love you! Don't be mad. I know you read the whole thing. :)




As always, let me know if you make this. 

Here is Ali's entire thread https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/baked-chicken-breast/

Happy Baking!

Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138