Bad baguettes make good croutons - 3 ways

 Ok so having tried to make baguettes at home I learned two things. 

1. you need to cut down the size of the dough or your artisan mixer will fling the bowl across the room. fun for entertainment value but not so good when making bread, causing me to hold the bowl for all 10 mins of mixing. 

2. you need to bake them in the top rack only. 

Because I did neither, I had baguettes that were burned on the bottom but okay on the top. So I cut them into croutons and then promptly forgot about them. 

Today I realized I 'd better do something with them so I mixed them into three different recipes. 

Butter + Caraway for fondue (cue all that extra gruyere cheese I bought)

Garlic + Thyme  for soups or salads. Or maybe I will just eat them. I might put parmesan on them. 

Rosemary for probably eating too. :) Or soup. I should make some soup. 

The first one is happily baking now. It even prompted a visit from 14 year old boy asking if he can have some bread because it smells good. I dont think he'll care that it's crouton shaped. So I said yes when its done. 

Since I bought a spatch-cocked chicken from imperfect foods and they actually delieverd it, i cut that thing open and threw it in the oven with some poultry seasoning, oil, salt and pepper. Smells divine. 

Then i had also gotten an acorn squash, so that I cut into slices, de-seeded, and baked as well. 

So the smells in here are amazing. Can't wait to eat!

--------------------

The chicken was great and the squash, though a bit more charred so less moist was good too. 

Now the croutons are coming out. The caraway ones are herby and crunchy. 

The garlic ones are baking now. 

---------------

Rosemary done and all bagged up. 

They're crunchier than I thought but theyll all be good in soup. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138