My answer to galletes

Happy New Year!

We can all tell by the ads on social media that this is the season for losing weight. This is incompatible with all the pictures of bacon and cake all over the place.

Having recently worked in a bakery, one of the scrumptious things we made were galettes. This is basically an open faced mini pie, about 5 inches around. They can be made savory or sweet. And they are awesome! When they are savory we often see them with an egg baked on top.

However, anything made with pie crust is automatically fattening. You know it, I know it.

We try to ignore it around the Holidays, but now that we've had our end of the year hurrah, we look around at our houses and see how much sugar and fat snuck its way in.

It's a sad thing to have discovered something so good but so bad for you, really. So I've been thinking about it, and came up with a solution.

This one was not bad.

The savory galette I modeled it after is the sliced sweet potato white cheddar galette with an egg on top.

Rather than using a pie crust, I peeled and grated the sweet potato, and fried it in olive oil with salt and pepper to make sweet potato hash browns (see picture).



I cooked it until it browned, then once I flipped it over with a spatula to side 2, I added some cheese (monterey jack is all I had) and cooked side 2 until the cheese melted.
I made the egg separately as a fried egg, only because the heat from the hashbrowns weren't going to be enough to cook the egg without using the oven .

This made for a fantastic lunch and I encourage you to try it!

All the best,
Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!