Came across some cape gooseberries and made scones!

 Cape Gooseberries are not gooseberries at all. 

In fact they are roundish with a husk, but thats the only thing that is similar to them. 

Gooseberries are green and purple in color, with zebra stripes and they look like a grapes weird cousin with a tail. To me, they taste like a natural version of a sweet tart, but more on the tart side. 

Cape gooseberries are yellow with a cape (thus the name) which is a husk around them, similar to a tomatillo. The fruit tastes like a very sweet grape tomato mixed with a mango. It's strange at first but very addictive. 





Cape Gooseberry




Gooseberries

The scone, made with cream, and mixed with lemon make a perfect accompaniment to the cape gooseberry, very complex and sweet and almost floral. 

This was not in my plan, to buy cape gooseberries (or as you may know them "ground cherries") but when I saw them, my first thought was Gooseberries! I love those guys!

Then I realized what I really had, I pinged my friend Jen who tried to introduce them to me on our trip over, but we ended up forgetting before I headed back home.

I had to make something special with them, so I found this recipe: https://www.alifedelicious.com/cape-gooseberry-scones/ 

Here is how it went: 

The dry mix and butter are incorporated. 

The wet is mixed then poured over top and mixed in. I had to get my hands in at this point, as with most scones I've tried. Then the berries are added. 


Then more cream is brushed with more cream and baked. 



I was meant to separate them before brushing on the cream but I missed that part of the instructions. 

So after about 25 mins, I separated them with a knife. 

Baked scones



Mixing up the glaze with lemon juice and powdered sugar


Glazed scones

Glazed Scone for dessert!

Well these were just scrumptious! I highly recommend making these and eating them. Yum!
Hope you get a chance to try them. 
Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake