Good evening!

Hope you are all well.  I've been thinking about the past few weeks, a few lessons learned, and some wins I wanted to share, and while I bake a cake that was ordered, I wanted to get them down for you.

LOSSES:
First we will discuss muffins, and my as yet to have figured out recipe exchanges:

There was an apple oat muffin recipe I tried to replace some of the ingredients and ended up with dry crumbly nearly tasteless muffins. Really they were better used as door stops.
Substitutions included: wheat flour for white, turbinado sugar plus some honey for white and brown sugar. I think these things would have been better had I added some applesauce or some greek yogurt perhaps. What do you think?

Anyway I tried to make the best of it and created a bread pudding out of it. That too was dry but I found that putting maple syrup over it was pretty good.

Next we will talk Chorizo and how I really don't quite understand the need for vinegar?
So I had this idea that we could have waffles and sausage, and I would of course make the sausage.
The idea was to try a new recipe for Chorizo, thinking how this is a flavorful sausage and it would be good.
Substitutions included ground turkey (the Jenny O kind that has fat in it), and really I didnt let the apple cider vinegar marinate, I just mixed it in and hoped for the best.
It was awful. I mean like spit it out gross and AWFUL.  I had to throw that recipe the heck out. Yikes. Does anyone know is that normal for a chorizo recipe to have vinegar?

WINS: 
This recipe is for Southwestern Turkey Stew. 
I have to admit that I was rather dubious about this one. It called for hominy, sweet potato, poblano peppers, and you had to get turkey legs and cut the meat off. I needed a day with time for this one. And I had to find a boning knife.
Luckily for me patience and bravery won out and I hacked away at three turkey legs for this one. Later I read you can use chicken thighs or turkey thighs for it, which would have been a lot easier.
It really was good and I would definitely make it again.
One tip from me is that you will want to cook the sweet potato in the microwave for about 3 mins before pulling off the skin and cutting it up. They can be like rocks otherwise.


"Fruit Juices"
I whined to my hubby about the lack of juice, kool-aid, soda pop and sweet coffee on my metabolic diet. I was really sick of tea and water.

So, on a mission, I decided to make my own juice.

Basically, I started with a 4oz glass filled with turbinado sugar. I put that into a saucepan with an equal amount of water and cooked it while stirring until it turned into a caramel colored syrup.
Then I added this to distilled water, some lime juice, and a cup of frozen mixed berries.
Stir this together and I had a lovely "fruit juice" that was actually on my diet. I'm so very glad. and I have to say that it may work for a raspberry lemonade once I get some more lemons. Looking forward to that. :)

That's it for me. I hope you learned something. I sure did!

Vicky, aka Clumsy Chef.

P.S. Even if the turkey stew wasn't good, I would have called it a win since I did NOT cut myself by boning the turkey legs.  Go me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

Chicken Roma