On the Lamb

Sorry I've been gone so long, blog readers! Mostly I was transitioning my work and home schedules. When I go through a transition, I tend to set things down and ponder the best way to fit all the pieces of the puzzle that is my schedule back together in a new way. Once done, I tend to go back to the things I love doing. Guess this is one of them. :)

So, here we are. Back from being "on the lamb".
It's time to eat!

I've never really been a fan of lamb.

To me it tasted ... "doggy". It smelled kinda funny too.

But adventurous me wanted to give it another shot. And I can tell you, I am now a convert.
Unfortunately I am alone in my family for liking lamb.

The spices used were good to use on beef as well. Heck, my imagination was spurred to even consider selling spice mixes such as this one.

Of course, rather than do the smart thing and make sure I have all the ingredients before landing on this recipe, I do the opposite most of the time. I buy the meat then go find a recipe and start substituting!

So I can tell you with confidence that the shallots can be substituted with regular onions.

Image result

You start with a bowl of dried spices, so this one can be made all year round.
Mix rosemary, basil, thyme, salt and pepper.
Rub it on the lamb chops and let the flavors sink in.

Mean while you cut up the shallots or onions.
I wanted my lamb Medium, so I cooked them for 5 mins per side in butter. I know it calls for olive oil, but I'm pretty sure I didnt have any.
Let them rest again for about 5 minutes.

Cook the onions or shallots in the fat, then add the wine when they start to turn brown. Scrape the pan to make sure you get the good stuff!
Then add the chicken broth. You have to cook it to reduce by half or its not going to be thick enough to use as a sauce. Add more butter to thicken and serve. We had it with Lebanese rice which totally did NOT turn out well, i have to try that one again! Hint: don't use rice a roni without the flavor packet. You may as well eat the box.

Here is the recipe:
Give lamb a chance and Enjoy!
Lamb Chops with Red Wine Reduction
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 lamb chops (3/4 inch thick)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup minced shallots
  • 1/3 cup sweet red wine
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • In a small bowl or cup, mix together the rosemary, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Rub this mixture onto the lamb chops on both sides. Place them on a plate, cover and set aside for 15 minutes to absorb the flavors.
  • Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place lamb chops in the skillet, and cook for about 3 1/2 minutes per side for medium rare, or continue to cook to your desired doneness. Remove from the skillet, and keep warm on a serving platter.
  • Add shallots to the skillet, and cook for a few minutes, just until browned. Stir in wine, scraping any bits of lamb from the bottom of the skillet, then stir in the chicken broth. Continue to cook and stir over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until the sauce has reduced by half. If you don't, the sauce will be runny and not good. Remove from heat, and stir in the butter. Pour over the lamb chops, and serve.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138