Egg-less chocolate cake, anyone?

Recently I moved to a new work location that gave me the chance to meet a group of people from a few Indian cultures, some from the North and some from the South. They even complimented my attempt at Coconut Til Ladoo for Diwali, even though that type of sweet is typically made in January. My friend said it was great that I was trying, at least. I did hear someone actually say that it was an example of a real Indian dish. High compliment!

One of the things another friend taught me is that many of the people, especially those from Southern India, were vegetarian and would not eat cake with eggs in it. (or is this Vegan? I'm foggy where the line is drawn.)

So I was challenged with this question: Can you make an egg-less cake?

Well, now I've heard of this so I knew it could be done. So I went looking for a recipe.

I found one in both metric measurements and SAE measurements, which is immensely helpful for the metric-challenged!

Another nice thing about this recipe is that it was made of ingredients that I already had.  (if your interest is now peaked, see the end where I give you the recipe).

Eggs in a recipe is added as a binder, a moistener ,and a leaven-er. So what things in the recipe could be replacements?
Milk is going to moisten the cake. And baking powder is a leaven-er.  Here, flour can act as a binder as well. This recipe has all three.

So I grabbed a bowl and to save time, dumped in the ingredients and stirred only until combined. The recipe says "do not overstir" so I did not.

The cake is in the oven so we wait until 930pm for it to be done.
It calls for icing sugar to top before serving. I may put on a chocolate glaze instead.

More to come!

THE RECIPE:
No egg chocolate cake

Ingredients

200 grams (1½ cup+2 tablespoons) all-purpose flour, sifted
200 grams (1 cup) granulated sugar
75 grams (2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
16 grams (4 teaspoons) baking powder
450 ml (1¾ cup+2 tablespoons) soy milk or dairy milk
35 grams (2½ tablespoons) vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Icing sugar (powder sugar) for dusting
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C (320 degrees F).
In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder.
In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients
moist chocolate cake
and stir until just combined with a wooden spoon.
Don't over-mix!!!
moist chocolate cake
Pour the batter into a greased and floured 22 cm (8 inches) pan.
moist chocolate cake
Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool the moist chocolate cake on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Enjoy it!

Comments

  1. Ground flax seed meal becomes gelatinous when wet and can be used in place of eggs in baking. http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/flaxseed-meal-egg

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake was a hit. Its a bit of a dense cake with no eggs, but yummy and I think it will be a good addition to my recipe book.
    Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake