Good food, good company

It's looking like my first ideas; teach a cooking class at church, help people know how to live in Greater Detroit and eat for health, maybe even You Tube videos, even including gardening, are more difficult or not the right venue right now.

But, not one to give up, I started thinking while grating onions for meatloaf yesterday, that maybe I need to build up some 'cred' first. And also I should keep band-aids in the kitchen. I mean, you can't teach what you haven't lived, not well anyway. I'm just beginning my journey, so maybe this format, this blog, can get us all there together, grated knuckles and all.

Stick with me and we will figure this out.

This week: Thanksgiving week.
Thanksgiving was traditionally a time to see cousins. Loads of them! And the food was all we could think about. We talked food. We made dishes together. We did the dishes. Then we went to my other grandmas and did it all again for dinner. More cousins, more fun. Olives on our fingers. Meat pie. The kids table.

I miss it. I miss seeing them guaranteed every year. (hugs to you, you know who you are!)

Traditions don't necessarily die, but the people who they are rooted in do. When my grandma on my mom's side passed away, our large crew ended up at our respective moms and dads and new traditions started. Things changed. New families were introduced and adopted.

Then as my husbands parents passed away, things changed again. I floundered a bit with so much change. I love traditions, I love family, and things seemed to change every year.

Last year, having no "normal" to look forward to on the big day, as another parent passed away so close to Thanksgiving, we headed down to Georgia. Our good friends helped us build a new normal. Our idea of family now included friends. It was such a blessing.

Then this year we too included not only our little 4 person family but also a good friend. We had chickens instead of turkey because we were 5 people. And I brined them, boy was that good!

The trimmings included White Castle stuffing, cranberries, Hawaiian rolls, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and apple pie.

It made me proud to be who I am and we may have started yet a new tradition. On top of that, this year I am having our second annual 'friendsgiving' to see more friends and make "the turkey".

By the way, we had two young organic 5lb chickens for dinner. Got this at Kroger, so in a pinch you can find meat at Kroger that is good for you. Or at least, not as bad as 'chicken infused with broth' - can you say MSG? I'm allergic so I just hate seeing that.

Also the dog loves chicken livers but the cat doesn't.
What the dog does NOT love is carrot, turns out. She actually spit them out in a line by her bowl. She's inventive, this one.

For as important as the traditions I now have I want to make sure the food is good. And make sure to use Aunt Bertha's plates. And grandma's glasses. And the other grandma's recipe for meat pie. (gotta find that recipe). And to share it with friends and family.

I hope this note finds you full of turkey and good memories.

Tomorrow we tackle fettucine alfredo and a red bolognese sauce for the pasta lovers (Andrew I'm looking at you).





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake