April 27 - Sausage, Spanish Day

I went a little crazy with my box of veggies this week.  Old mangoes were waiting while new mangoes were coming in. I thought, hey I wont need to worry about my veggies and fruits for a few days yet because ... what it was perpetual Monday for the last three days? Who knows. I literally checked what day it was 3 times and it still didn't register!

I'm not normally this much of a space cadet, but I'm transitioning at work to a new job/promotion, and I'm in the "gathering the things I need to do" phase. 

School starts in a couple weeks, too, and my entire schedule is in flux. My brain is all over the place. 

My main concern at home with the food is not to allow anything to spoil, so I am trying to get the most perishable items eaten first. It's a challenge, especially when 2 boxes of veggies and fruits come in when you thought you had more time.  Oops. 

What did I have?

I looked in the freezer and found sausages. In the fridge a few wrinkly peppers telling each other old war stories, some red onions came fresh out of the box. 

I picked Spanish for the flavors and after a quick check, chose paprika, garlic, olive oil, black pepper, salt, and butter to cook them in. I cut up the onions, peppers and added tomatoes.  The sausages first were parcooked in water then cut up to add to the veggies later. 

The idea was to serve this over rice, so it needed a sauce. 
I mixed up some chicken stock with cornstarch for thickener to add to the veggies. 
 Once the sausage was done, and cut into coins, I added it to the veggies and sauce. 
I tasted it. Blah. 
Boring. 
So I looked around for something to add . 
I had mexican saffron, added a lot more paprika, and finally realized it wanted acid. So I squeezed a tiny bit of lemon juice from a half that I had left over. 
Minute rice because the starch became an afterthought and I didnt have a lot of time. 
About that mango? Yeah, I added it to the very dark brown banana and a touch of honey. 
The boys dont like mangoes nor very ripe bananas, so this was all mine. 
I started this all with boiling water for corn and threw the two corn on the cobs from the veggie box in after shucking them. Corn doesnt last long and tastes terrible if old. You want to eat it right away. 


And here's dinner. 
Pretty good, even if the corn wasnt very sweet yet :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake