November writing prompt day 2 of 30

Your Earliest Memory

My memories seem to center around a place. Other than impressions and dreams about our place in Dayton, Ohio, I think my first real memories happened in Wichita Falls, Texas.

I was 5 when we moved there from Ohio and we moved away when I was 8. 

I have a lot of memories about Wichita Falls; Standing in the driveway while it snowed for the first time, Staring at the screaming cicadas on the Shumard Oak trees, Planting long thin black marigold seeds with little puffies on the end and getting a sunburn from the 110 degree day, Hanging in my tree in the back yard that seemed to be built for me and wondering at the big red dog named Blue. 

I remember pulling violets from the grass and honeysuckle from the fence. I remember my first crush lived across the street and my first best friend did too, but on the other side. I remember a funny lady lived next door who used to babysit us. 

The problem is I am not very good with sequence  of events, so I don't remember which of those memories came before the others.  

I've gone onto Google Earth to see the old house, mint green on a little street called Palmetto drive. It seems smaller now, but it was my world back then.

I recall the old furniture was avocado green and mustard yellow. Dad had a mustache and dark brown hair. Mom had brown hair, too and so did I. I remember our kitchen table being tall and the wood veneer thin, with thin legs that hurt when you kick them. I remember Ivory soap in the bathroom and losing a tooth and that time I found a snake that our cat Sasha killed and I freaked out. Dad came running wearing cowboy boots because I was shrieking SNAKE and accidentally stepped on my foot. I also remember Mom beating a scorpion to smithereens when I told her it was headed toward "the baby" (my brother). 

I remember moving to Michigan in a Station Wagon, saying good bye to my friends, boxes all over the house, making sure we took the cat, and yea ok my brother too. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake