All things Cookery Week 2

Cooking at home for practice....

October 5 633PM

Well, that didn't turn out EXACTly like I planned. 
I tried to make crepes mornay with chicken and mushrooms. However, crepes eluded me until the 8th try. I made 10. So then Andrew ate the two nice looking ones.
I had to poach chicken and julienne it... not sure I even did that right. 
The mornay sauce was for a huge pot so I had to quickly convert it .. and it needed a bechamel sauce.. more converting. Then the Mushrooms needed clarified butter and chopped herbs. 
It was all very complicated with many steps. And those crepes.
So I lined a bread pan with broken crepes, placed chicken mushroom combo on top, layered more broken crepes, put on mornay sauce, paprika, and baked for 20 mins. Then topped with herbs and served. Man was that good. Broken or not.



October 9 1000PM 

Today in Cookery class:
We made Clam Chowder, which turns out I actually love. And also Consomme which I could take or leave. We made a clearmeat to clarify it. If you haven't seen this and dont know what it is, I'll let you google it. Some of you may get grossed out.
Other soups included shrimp bisque, but they used shrimp base (contains a lot of MSG), so I couldnt try it. And also a corn chowder... I didnt hate it but I probably wouldnt make it at home.
Cool part today was talking to the baking chef and troubleshooting my sourdough starter. *(didnt rise) He recommended I feed it a different flour, for longer by about 3x. Baking Chef is going to give me some starter to take home. Get this: the starter has a name and it is Steve. I get to take part of him home and hopefully one day grow him into bread. For extra credit I could take him home for the weekend, and feed him, but I stop going to classes weds nights and someone else needs the extra credit for now. One day. Plus hes in a giant tub, how the heck would I carry him and his flour to my car with everything else i carry? I need a bigger backpack! And a donkey lol!



October 10  1101PM


In cookery today, we made tortilla soup, mulligatawny, beer cheese, billy bi (mussels), black bean soup, and chicken and sausage gumbo. They were all "specialty" soups and all good. 
My favorite is the beer cheese soup.
I stayed a bit late and got Steve Jr.
Here is a pic of him riding home in the car. 

Here's hoping I do him justice!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake