All things Cookery Week 1

Hi, checking in again with my latest news from culinary classes. :)

Here are the posts so far, enjoy!

October 2 1103PM
Culinary update: I got my Basic Skills class grade, an A- !!
Not only that, my former teacher introduced me to my new teacher as her "star student"! Whaaaat?! I was so happy!
Now I'm in Cookery, and today we learned to make stock in 50 gallon stockpots... I could climb inside they are so big. 
We made a chicken stock and a brown stock (with tomato and caramelized the veggies). Smelled like heaven in there when we left. It has to simmer over night. 
Tomorrow we make soup. Turns out the bouquet garni and sachets we made last week were used in the stock tonight.
So far, this is a much less pressured class. And we have a planned meal every night that we have class (except tonight was just homemade jam and bread (and peanut butter, yuck), and pretzels with cheese sauce.) Not really a meal but they fed us, who am I to complain?


October 4 900AM
Yesterday in Cookery, we made soup from the stocks we made the night before. Someone from another class drained the stock into these buckets, emptied the solids, washed the giant stockpots and rinsed them. So when we got to class they were sparkling and empty. Weird and kind of awesome.
I was assigned split pea, and the big question on my mind was - what is the proper consistency for split pea? Turns out it's kind of up to you, but the consistency I've always seen (pasty) is too thick. Of the 4 teams ours was the thickest (due to being warmed on the stove longer and addition of a slurry) and I liked it best. My partner didn't eat pork, and we had to follow the recipe, so she had none (bacon, ham). So then all the tasting and decision about thickness was up to me. It turned out good, especially with the bacon bits, ham bits, and croutons (yes we made those too).
After all that I wish we'd gotten Cream of Mushroom though because THAT soup had Madeira wine in it and was fantastic. After eating that one I didn't want ours anymore. Two teams made that one, and my preference was the one with more wine -- go figure. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake