Trying out Almond Pound Cake - July 26, 2018

When I think about having my own brick n mortar bakery some day, I think about what I might offer to eat. I have a ton of recipes but haven't really tried most of them. ( I know, I'm ashamed to even say it. )  I tend to stick to the same things over and over. But in my fantasies I am trying new things every week.

So I thought to myself, why don't I just try something I haven't tried before every week, now? Why not pick a day, say Thursday, and make an effort to try out a new recipe.

I'm trying out an Almond Pound Cake as you may have guessed by the title.
One of my favorite flavors is almond. To get technical for a moment, an almond isn't actually a nut but the part we eat is a seed. The genus, or plant category, is called "prunus" which includes nectarines, peaches , apricots, cherries and plums. And this is why I love it, because to me, the flavor of an almond has a distinct cherry like flavor. How cool is that? (I wonder if it's prunus because we have to prune these fruit trees?)

Back to the pound cake -- it may interest you to know that this particular recipe contains both butter and shortening. Traditional pound cakes have a pound of each of these four things: flour, butter, eggs and sugar, which is where it got it's name. So this recipe is not actually traditional.

How much is a pound, you may wonder? A pound of flour is 3 1/3 cups, a pound of butter is 2 cups (or 4 sticks), a pound of eggs is 10 eggs (!!) and a pound of sugar is 2 cups.

Okay okay on to the baking!
So I love this recipe because you just dump all the ingredients in a bowl, mix, grease your pan well with Crisco, pour in the batter, and bake.

One thing I do NOT love is that you need to let it cool overnight to get the proper textured top. Who wants to wait!?

It's in the oven now. I'm waiting for it to smell like almond pound cake.. .

It's done!
Well not done.... its done cooking. Now I have to cool to "lukewarm" and then put it on a rack with a towel over it overnight. It may not make it that long, I'm just saying.

Here is a pic right out of the oven:

Can you guess how long recipes for pound cake have been around?
Recipes can be found as old as 222 years ago!

Making an almond glaze is pretty easy. It's just powdered sugar and almond extract. You can always add cream cheese or butter, but I like my glaze sweet.

Here is the glazed almond pound cake:



It was pretty yummy! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Day 10: 40 Days of Lent: Cookie Brownies and Double Chocolate muffins!

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138