Testing recipes - Brussels sprouts, who knew?

I'd tried this recipe before. Only I must not have had half n half.

Let me back up. I hate bitter foods. I 'm really a sweets person, I even want my chicken deep fried and dipped in honey.

But I aim to learn new things, and I really want to try all the recipes in my cookbook to ensure they really are good. No "Joy of cooking" fiasco here. (Look into it, she didn't even try the recipes! Gasp!)

So, because i read this really cool book about a lady who had an anyeurism or maybe a stroke? And she had to relearn to use her one side, including learning how to cook as therapy. She ended up being a caterer! I love stories like this, over coming obstacles.

Any way, she made this recipe for Brussels sprouts for thanksgiving for her family and they love it, which lead to her doing more cooking. I have a few of her recipes actually and I told her I was really impressed. Shes a nice person.

Anyway, so I got around to getting some Brussels sprouts and today I finally made her recipe.
And see, I've had them before but they are bitter, even if you add butter and salt and caramelize them. Nothing was removing that sulfuric smell-taste you get with cabbage.

But in this recipe, she has you julienne then ,slow cook them with shallots, caramelize them, and THEN has you add cream! And this, my friends, DOES THE TRICK. I swear on my jar of Detroit bees honey its true.

This one is definitely going into the books.

No this does not mean I'm trying haggis. Sorry.

The Recipe
Here is the recipe. Make sure not to cook the cream too hot or it curdles!
Julienned Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients:
4 shallots, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
5 cups julienned Brussels sprouts (16-20 whole sprouts)
½ c heavy cream or half n half

Directions:
In a large skillet, over medium heat, brown the shallots in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Once the shallots get a bit of color, add the julienned sprouts, mixing well to evenly disperse the shallots. Brown the sprouts, slightly. Add the heavy cream or half n half and a bit more salt and pepper, cover the skillet, and turn the heat to med low to steam the sprouts.  When the skillet is just about dry, 5-7 minutes, taste for doneness and seasoning. Should be crisp-tender and buttery tasting due to the cream. 

Comments

  1. Well that's a new way to cook them !!! I have just roasted them, salt or garlic salt, and olive oil. Never thought of doing it this way. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake