Not Betty Crocker

I have this reputation among my friends that I'm some Betty Crocker.

I smile but don't believe it.

I do believe the key to being healthy is learning to cook from scratch. And of course I want to cook well.

But I wonder, have I really learned to cook, even all the basics? Or do I have work to do?

I put myself to the test today and I you guessed it, I have work to do!

According to Bon Appetit magazine, we should all know these "basic" cooking techniques.
I sure didnt get 100%, but, I did get a good laugh. My comments are italicized. 

1. Make an Aioli. Do they mean mayonnaise? Oh, yes, well, I got hubby sick once doing that...(looks sideways)
2. Sear steak on a Cast Iron.  huh. well, shoot, I wonder where my cast iron pan went...
3. Roast a Chicken. Yes! yes, i have done this. 
4. Fry an egg. Okay, well, yes, but this is not what I would call basic. It took me a few years to get this one right.

5. Make a roux. Yep. But once you learn what a Roux is, you realize this is not very hard. 
6.  Blanch. Um, well that involves boiling water, and then removing the food right after....but how soon after? and then you need ice... I don't really do this.
7. Carmelize onions. oh, yes. I love carmelized onions. 
8. Make a kick-ass marinade. Are we allowed to swear in here? The thing is, I make them but I never had the patience to wait like 8 hours for it to be done.
9. Get fish skin nice and crispy. This means i have to buy fish with skin on it. I tend to get the cod blocks that are frozen in the bag. I have done this with salmon once or twice.
10. Supreme citrus. I don't get it. oh, I see. Removing the skin and white stuff from the fruit. Seems fussy. I honestly don't bother.
11. Whip cream and make pie crust. AND? Both of them for the same pie?! 
12. Make a solid chicken stock. yep.
13. Make a viniagrette. I have. Once. 
14. Quick pickle. no..
15. Frost a cake. Have you met me?

 I got a 11 out of 15. Not bad, but definitely, looks like I have some work to do. Although not sure about the citrus...

See http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/slideshow/basic-cooking-techniques for the list and recipes. 

Comments

  1. Love this blog !!!! I had to read it out loud to your Dad. We both got a good laugh out of it. Turns out you're pretty funny and your writing shows it. LY

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake