Food culture study - Italian food. Field trip day #2

 With less sunshine came less motivation. 
I'm knee deep in "fall cleaning" so I spent a good chunk of the morning rearranging the dining room counters. 

So then I had less energy and motivation. But knowing I wanted to continue on my other quest - perfecting making breads - I had to get some rice flour. 

So I first went to Gordons and looked around. They had the rice flour, albeit a smallish bag from Bobs Red Mill. Not even a big bag that I expected. So I took it and was thankful to get it to be honest.  I did check and found duck - $3.69 a pound, so a bit cheaper than Ninos. I' m going to have to bite the bullet and pay about $20 regardless for duck, which I'm nervous I'm gonna mess up. Someday Later. 

I was amused to find giant hunks of turkey deli meat not yet sliced, and cheese, etc. I just wrinkled my nose and pronounced it gross, quietly, and moved on, chuckling to myself. I mean it looked like the shape of a turkey but ....wrong. 

After that I did go to an Italian bakery, Tringali. But I think you have to get there early, because there were like 3 kinds of bread left. I skipped that and got some grated Romano instead for my dinner.  I eavesdropped on a conversation between two women. I loved the way one was telling a sad tale, and the other was so supportive. The lilt of their conversation was rapid and sad, but supportive of each other. 

I ended up making rigatoni with guanciale from Ventimiglia, then the Romano cheese from Tringali. To be honest I have no idea what I'm doing. I could be mashing together different regions of  Italy by vising a store, and mixing the foods into my dinner. I will probably get the hang of it one day, but for now it's just a joy and delight to see the differences, and note where I could get some decent frozen raviolis. 

Next trip, next friday!

See you then, 

Vicky

P.S., I was right, I shouldve gotten there earlier .Here is a pic of their breads on the website!




Missed the first blog? Here is the link: https://vickylearnstocook.blogspot.com/2020/11/food-culture-study-italian-food-field.html 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138