Oscars - Movie and the Food: The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)

Irish Stew



1/25/2023 4:36pm 

As a form of self entertainment, I am going to watch a movie from the 2022 Oscars. I've previewed the major ones and selected a bunch of them that I think I'd like. 

Some, I wont be able to see because they require Apple TV which I don't have. I'll have to figure it out later for those. I can't imagine I will truly be forced to buy another streaming thing just to see a movie. But I could be wrong. Doesn't this seem wrong to you?

For today, I'll start with "The Banshees of Inisherin"It looks really good. 

And then because I like to cook, I am going to watch closely for something they eat, and then try to make it. I don't know Irish food. I don't even have an Irish cookbook - can you believe it? 
But I will see what I can find. There is always the library. 

Who knows if I will bore of doing this, but for now, I think I will enjoy it. Seems fun. Come along if you want. 

------------------

1/26/23 10:36 am

Well, HBO Max was on the fritz yesterday. it just stared back at me with a black screen, no sound. Nothin. 

So I went to Netflix and picked off another movie on my list, Enola Holmes 2. It was a good one and I recommend you watch it. 

Here's hoping I can get HBO to cooperate tonight!

-------------

January 27, 2023 11:59 am

Success! HBO cooperated and I was able to see the movie. 

The Movie

Best quote: "I used to think that'd be a nice thing to be. One of life's good guys. And now, it sounds like the worst thing I've ever heard."

Vicky's Rating 4 out of 5 stars. 

It was good, don't get me wrong. The best part for me was really was listening to the speech patterns. But the story line, the plot, then the ending. I felt.... dissatisfied. which I can only assume they meant for me to feel that way. Reading on what the director meant to convey, it seems they wanted to highlight the destruction of a relationship from both sides. 

Having been in a similar breakup of a friendship (no fingers were cut), it stung to watch and  I want some kind of closure, a happier ending, than what I got. As is in life. 

I'd say it's worth watching, but read up on Martin McDonagh's movies first. 

The Food

What I'm making: I admit, I am not SURE what they were eating. It looked like stew and I'm guessing it's lamb or maybe beef. So I will investigate this Irish Stew recipe here: https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-irish-stew-recipe-435757 

2/5/23 4:14 pm

After following the above recipe, I am definitely adding this to my repertoire of meals. 
I was worried the lamb might seem gamey or it might seem mealy with the potatoes, but since you add a sort of gravy to the stew, it comes out soft on the tongue and the lamb has that certain something that beef, which we eat so much of, does not. 

One thing to keep in mind is give yourself enough time to cook it down. It takes some time and I miscalculated, and had the family be in charge of a meal they weren't going to eat. So, they ended up burning it. But even still, having rescued the top portion, it was good. That's saying something! 

Sad to say it's all gone now. You must give it a try. 

As for me, on to the next adventure!

Bye for now, Vicky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake