Breakfast open faced sandwich?

 Good morning!

I woke up contemplating breakfast. Had a good think on it before I got up.

My go-to is a half cinnamon raisin bagel, but I worry that while it's convenient and tasty, it is not nutritionally sound, and it may be setting me up for eating a lot of white carbs throughout the day. 

Could I do better?

I've made a whole wheat version of the bagels but it's a lot of effort for frankly fairly tough bagels. No convenience factor, and no protein so you know it doesn't last long.

I dont mind things like eggs but I want them fried or poached so I can have separate yolk as a sauce as opposed to mixing them into a frittatta, omelette, or quiche. Of the three it sounds like Omelette would be best if I liked them, but I dont. The yolk turns into something completely different when cooked to hard stage and Im just not a fan. 

So then how will I incorporate whole grains, vegetables both green and not, something tasty, and the favorite protein of the morning, eggs?

I decided to use the idea of avocado toast but expand it. 

If I start with whole wheat toast or some other whole grain toast, I can satisfy my love for carbs and move on. 

I can add greens, cooked like arugula and veggies like mushrooms, both of which I have too much of and no plan for. 

And then there's the egg on top. 

But I need a glue. That's when I stared into the fridge. 

I had some leftover spinach artichoke dip. I wonder if I use a spread like this or some other spread for the base, the vegs might stick and it would give a lovely flavor at the same time. 

My inner rebel will be appeased because there is unhealthy dip in there. 

And my veggies will get not only used up but making me healthier. 

Was this a win win win?

I can tell you my own personal opinion that yes, it was satisfying and tasty and I would do it again. Turns out by making it open faced, I spent about 200 calories on this meal. I have a feeling it will be much longer lasting than a half bagel. Dont you?

Will it be convenient?
Well, yes and no. 
I had to first cook the arugula, then set that in a bowl. Then rinse out the pan, and cook the sliced mushrooms to brown. Then set that in the bowl. Then get a frying pan and cook the egg while the toast was cooking. I assembled and ate.

But the next time I make it, I can just make toast while I fry the egg and assemble since the vegs are already done. I have lots of left over. 

One last point, its healthier and versatile. You can use any veg and any dip and any toast. Heck, add avocado as the dip, why not?

Here are some photos. 

Toast with dip, arugula, and mushrooms

Egg on top

Finished breakfast

The only question is, what to call it?
Let me know what you think. 

Vicky




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Virus Shutdown, Day 53

COVID-19 Virus, Day 138

Writing a cookbook and Coffee Cake